Sunday, September 15, 2013

Who are you again?

    When I went to Snow College, I met a guy who was in one of my classes and we ended up walking in the same direction to our next class. I decided that I was going to turn over a new leaf and not be awkward anymore. So, instead of walking by him silently, I thought this would be a good opportunity to start up a friendly conversation since I knew we would be seeing each other in class a lot. We talked for at least 5 minutes and he was really nice and then we separated ways for our different classes. Well, I saw him again in the next couple of days and decided that I would say "hi" to him since we had talked before and we were in the same class. Well, he introduced himself to me again which I thought was strange, but brushed it off because I thought he had just forgotten my name. So, we introduced ourselves again and talked for a few minutes. I decided that I had actually made an impression that time so he would remember me and I would not feel awkward next time.
    Well, the next time I met him, same thing happened. So, I introduced myself to him AGAIN . . . and AGAIN,  the next time. Am I up to five times yet? Because that is literally how many times I introduced myself to him and he STILL didn't know who I was. That is when I decided I would not be his friend. And I wasn't. If somebody doesn't remember me (or at least my beautiful face) after FIVE TIMES, then they don't deserve to be my awesome friend.
     That instance was kind of a blow to my self-confidence, but as a few years has passed, I have come to the realization that I just have one of those faces. Usually, when you first meet somebody, you might forget their name the next time you see them, but you can always remember their face. Not the case with me. This same instance has happened to me many many many times. Even my current roommates are flabbergasted at the stupidity of people who don't remember me.
      I just have one of those faces, I guess.  The face everybody just doesn't remember. I have been in the same college student apartment for almost a year, and of course, every semester, people move in and out and we have new ward members (Oh, P.S. I am LDS/Mormon if you haven't figured that out yet. . . ). So, it is super fun to be in this ward with lots of people and fun activities to help us make friends. (Which I definitely need because I am a HORRIBLE friend-maker) Anywho, I swear, every single time there is an activity or we go to church, I will introduce myself to one new person and then I'll say Hi to them and talk to them when I see them in different places. Friendly, right? Apparently, people just never remember meeting me. Inevitably, every single time they will introduce themselves back to me because they just don't remember meeting me ever.
    So, even though it is super awkward when I remember somebody and they have absolutely no recollection of ever meeting me, I have decided that it is a good thing that I'm not so ugly that they can't forget my face. Have you ever noticed that? You really really remember the faces of people that are so gorgeous they should be on the cover of a magazine or you can't erase the face of somebody who is so ugly they should be Nanny McPhee? At least that's not me.

So, question of the day. What do you do to help people remember who you are?

6 comments:

  1. You have a beautiful face. Do not worry :) People are just dumb, and in the hubub of meeting a bunch of people at once such as moving into a new ward, faces get forgotten...

    As for the dude you would walk to class with? I have decided he has some disorder, because that is simply pathetic.

    Love you Lovely! See you this week!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. It pathetic. The problem is though, that he's not the only one that has done the same thing. Either it is coincidence, or I just happen to talk to every person within a 10 mile radius that has brain damage.
      It was super good to see you! Love ya!

      Delete
  2. Maybe that guy was in a car accident and suffers from permanent short-term memory loss. Poor fellow, he will never be able to get married. Alas.

    Usually when people meet me for the first time, we have the "Lara not Lora" and "nor is it Laurel Lauren or Laurie" conversations, so they are pretty clear by the time we ever stop talking about my name. Maybe you can come up with a clever word-game explanation to help people remember your name...what was it again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! Unfortunately, my name is not common enough for people to get confused with somebody else or anything. I did go through an entire school year once with a teacher calling me All-ee-ah-nah. No matter how many times I corrected her, it just didn't work. Maybe having that conversation at the first would definitely clear things up for me. :D

      Delete
  3. What do I do to help people remember who I am? Well I have many methods but I will share one with you for now. Whenever I meet someone new I always introduce myself with a firm and hearty handshake. They will not forget me or the handshake because I will continue to hold their hand until they are awkward with the moment… Then if they try to pull their hand away I will (while we are in the middle of small talk) nonchalantly reach for it again and again. They usually remember me as the guy who won’t let go of their hand. If you want another method just ask.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A firm and hearty handshake? I haven't tried that awkward handshake yet. Perhaps a wet noodle dead fish handshake would work just as effectively? Thank you for that sound advice. :)

      Delete